Monday, December 30, 2013

hope has holes


It really was quite the ugly cliché.

But I meant it with everything I had.


A friend had asked the procedural question, asked how I was. And when the cliché eked into my response, he eyed me with a skepticism that shot holes into every syllable. I, of course, knew how unsatisfactory the words were. Because if there's anything that makes me curdle inside, it's the misappropriation of a phrase. Words otherwise dated correctly can spoil as soon as they leave your mouth.


But I truly meant all of it.

I had no earthly idea how I was doing, but had every certain idea in heaven and earth

 that my Precious Jesus is good.


So I said it.

 
Words hollowed from excessive use sometimes prove themselves hallowed spaces to cradle inside. And Christ comes into the emptiness of things we may not yet understand, birthing a holy cry in the middle of our holes.


Let me be the first to open up that second box of clichés a little more. Because coming into Christmas this year, I felt saturated with holes, leaking long before Advent lit its first candle.  I joked with my Mama on Christmas Eve that surely I was a miserly sore thumb amidst our overwhelmingly generous family, bringing nothing but open hands.


It's not even that Christmas "snuck" up this year like Santa tiptoeing his way through every jaunty holiday rhyme. Practically speaking, tornadoes preceded the celebration week, so I'd call that a less than subtle entry. Personally speaking, I'd anticipated the arrival with preparations that excited with full joy.


All the same, I wondered if you might've felt it, too.

 How heaviness might have labored your journey to the manger a little more this year? How full joy actually just leaked from every pore in your vessel because you were more porous than you realized? That you were actually completely hollowed out save for the Treasure inside?


My own holes widened when new friends I'd met came laboring up cold train tracks from their nylon home, carrying weeks worth of laundry. I'd just told my friend that "Jesus is good" and here I am taking my friends to what home, now? Leaving them in what kind of weather?


 The holes furthered when, the next day, my car met its limit on the highway, and in five cars confused together, the Lord lavished grace and Life. No one beside me in the passenger seat. No one riding in the back. Nothing completely broken except for a split jar of a heart with spilt words of praise.


Then, two days later, the view of a man composing a song for his father, a saint taken suddenly. A memorial offered up just days before Christ's birth is commemorated. This son, he brought sacrifice to His King simply by standing. But then he went so far as to play before Him.


This familiar Scripture stretched across the screen toward the end of the memorial. The song had been offered. Hallowed Hope offered, anew, here:

"Then Jesus, again groaning in Himself, came to the tomb. It was a cave, and a stone lay against it. Jesus said, 'Take away the stone.' Martha, the  sister of him who was dead, said to Him, 'Lord, by this time there is a stench, for he has been dead four days.' Jesus said to her, 'Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?'" (Jn. 11:38-40)

 

Were the ending not enough- a man dead four days brought fully to life, again- the beginning is even more.

Jesus CAME to the tomb.

He walked straight to the greatest representation of emptiness on earth just as He had curled Himself as the Word made flesh within a mother's womb.

 
His very Incarnation terrorized Death, even before its looming defeat by way of the Resurrection. Death shuddered  because He dared plunge straight into the emptiness. Walked right to our tombs.

 
Your body might not feel Life headed towards you in your funeral clothes when you're sealed up like a sarcophagus shell, but oh, when that stone comes away...the pupils of your dead heart dilate wide in astonished belief and you truly see His Glory.

Because you see Him in His goodness, Him aching that you'd live.

 

All of a sudden, a former cave, the dreariest of empty crevices, fills up with substantial GLORY.

You become a vessel "filled with all the fullness of God" when you are direly empty (Eph. 4:19).

 

Even with your holes spewing grief and hurt and longing and tiredness

Only three holes He sees and

Hope has no holes save for those

that have saved you.
 
 
 
So, I'll say it again: This Jesus...this beautiful One inside our aching, once-empty cavities...

He is. So. Good.

 

And you know something really lovely? On Christmas Eve this year, the moon from this corner of the world was a defiant, clear half of itself. It shone like the cupped palm of a cradle.

Empty save for the Sun.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment